Nairobi Hospice is a program of care for those patients with life limiting illness and their families. Hospice ensures that the terminally ill patients are cared for through a holistic approach in that:
- They are physically tendered where pain and other distressing symptoms are controlled.
- Psychological and spiritual care for patients is provided so that they may come with into terms with and prepare for their own death as fully as they can.
- A support system is in place to help patients live as actively and creatively as possible until death, thereby promoting autonomy, personal integrity and personal esteem.
- patients are cared for in a home setting in which close friends and family are counseled and trained to be care givers.
- The hospice team combines consultative and “hands-on” in the provision of this service.